Tyson in trouble again for assault

A surveillance tape, showing former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson in an altercation inside a Brooklyn hotel, has been made public.

updated: February 25, 2007 09:48 IST
  • Total Shares

New York:

It's the latest round in Mike Tyson's legal troubles – a surveillance tape, showing the former heavyweight champion's June 21, 2003 altercation inside a Brooklyn hotel, has been made public. Tyson has pleaded not guilty in a brawl last month at the Marriott Hotel in Brooklyn, New York. But the surveillance video, which captured the incident, landed him back in court. Prosecutors say the tape captures Tyson knocking one of the men into a reception stand, punching the other, pausing to take off his coat, and resuming the alleged attack. The 37-year old Tyson is represented by Mel Sachs, who says Tyson was justified in restraining the men because he thought they were armed and he was verbally and physically attacked. Earl Brown, attorney for two other men involved in the fight says his clients are not guilty of menacing and harassing Tyson. Tyson is charged with misdemeanor assault, harassment, and disorderly conduct. A conviction could bring up to a year in prison. Pretrial hearings are scheduled for the end of September. Tyson says he was provoked in the attack. (AP)