Miller rules out Trescothick's Ashes return

Chief selector Geoff Miller dismissed the possibility of Trescothick's return to the England team for the final Ashes Test against Australia.

updated: August 12, 2009 11:41 IST
  • Total Shares


Chief selector Geoff Miller on Wednesday dismissed the possibility of Marcus Trescothick's return to the England team for the final Ashes Test against Australia after the Somerset batsman had hinted at coming out of his international retirement.

"Marcus has many times said he's retired from international cricket, and until I hear contrary to that, he will not be a part of the selection process," Miller said.

"He knows where he is, he's really comfortable and playing really, really well, but he's retired from Test cricket so he's not a part of our thoughts at this moment in time," Miller told a cricket website.

Trescothick had quit international cricket last year following stress-related illness.

The Somerset player earlier hinted that he would consider a comeback but the England selectors would have to approach him first.

"If I was asked, I don't know. If they threw questions at me, I would listen. But until they do, I can't answer," he was quoted as saying by 'The Sun'.

"I'm retired, I'm done. No one has spoken to me or said anything to me on the issue. I am just carrying on what I am doing at Somerset, carrying on playing. Anything else is hypothetical.

"It's always nice to be thought of but people are talking about it more than I am thinking about it," said the 33-year-old batsman.

Earlier this year, Trescothick had rejected Andrew Strauss' offer to come out of retirement.