Injury worries for Australia ahead of 2nd ODI

Australia will be tested in the second ODI against India in Nagpur on Wednesday with Brett Lee and Mitchell Johnson ruled out of the game.

updated: October 27, 2009 08:27 IST
  • Total Shares


After a winning start in the ODI series, Australian pace department has been dented with Brett Lee and Mitchell Johnson being ruled out of the Nagpur one-dayer to be played on Wednesday.

Brett Lee sustained a right elbow strain, while Mitchell Johnson suffered an inversion strain of his left ankle.

All-rounder James Hopes was already ruled out of the match with a hamstring strain, which he picked-up during the first match in Vadodara.

Forum: India favourites against injury-hit Australia?

New South Wales all-rounder Moises Henriques will join the Aussie squad as a standby player.

Chief selector Andrew Hilditch said while Lee (right elbow) and Johnson (left ankle) had responded well to treatment, they had not recovered enough to play at Nagpur on Wednesday. Hopes had already been ruled out for at least two matches with a right hamstring strain.

"Given the most significant injury appears to be Hopes' hamstring we have taken this opportunity to add Moises Henriques to the squad until the completion of game four in Mohali, where we will again assess the situation before it is decided if he remains with the squad," Hilditch said in a statement. "While the injury situation is disappointing it does provide an opportunity for Moises to join the Australian squad and become familiar in this environment."

Hilditch said Henriques had performed well for Australia A and for New South Wales during its winning campaign in the inaugural Champions League Twenty20 tournament in India.

"We view him as an exciting young all-rounder who will be looking to make the most of this opportunity in India," he said.

Henriques will arrive in New Delhi on Wednesday and join up with the top-ranked Australia squad the following day.

(With agency inputs)