New Delhi:The Indian Premier League has decided to shift all matches out of Hyderabad and Vizag, home ground of the Deccan Chargers, due to political unrest over the Telangana region.
The Andhra Pradesh capital was scheduled to host five matches, excluding the tournament opener on March 12, but the organizers have decided to move out.
IPL Commissioner Lalit Modi announced on his Twitter account the change in venue. Navi Mumbai's DY Patil Stadium will host tournament opener between Deccan Chargers and Kolkata Knight Riders on March 12.
Nagpur will host the next three matches, scheduled for March 19, 21 and 28. The remaining matches scheduled for April 5, 10 and 21 will be played at DY Patil Stadium.
Forum: Is IPL right in moving out of Hyderabad?
The move to shift matches out of Hyderabad comes despite assurances of foolproof security by the state government.
Hyderabad Cricket Association chief, G Vinod expressed disappointment.
"It's painful that Hyderabad will not host a match. It is unfortunate that they have moved the matches out in spite of our several requests," he said.
State's sports minister K Venkat Reddy, who had called on Deccan to pull out of the cash-awash tournament if any of their home games were shifted out, voiced his angst after the decision.
"It is a wrong decision. It is an insult to the state. We are once again requesting the matches to be moved back to Hyderabad and Vizag," Reddy said.
The Telangana agitation has already robbed the state of a lot of cricket action. An India-Sri Lanka ODI last year was shifted out of Visakhapatnam due to the volatile security situation.
Spectators were kept out during the first two days of the Duleep Trophy final between West Zone and South Zone in Hyderabad because of similar fears.
The IPL had earlier moved the opening ceremony out of Hyderabad to Mumbai.
(With agency inputs)