Australia Ashes squad 'best of a bad lot'

The Australian newspaper columnist Patrick Smith said the Ashes squad was the "best of a bad lot". The Sydney Morning Herald's Chloe Saltau said the squad "inevitably will be derided as the worst Australian outfit to visit England". Experienced ABC radio commentator Jim Maxwell rated Australia's chances of winning the Ashes at 50-50.

updated: April 25, 2013 10:22 IST
  • Total Shares

Sydney: The recall of two 35-year-old veterans for the Ashes series against England shows the lack of quality coming through the Australian ranks, with the squad the "best of a bad lot", media said Thursday.

Selectors picked Brad Haddin and Chris Rogers, with five openers among seven specialist batsmen alongside just one spinner, Nathan Lyon, for the five-match series starting in Nottingham on July 10.

Given the sorry state of Australian cricket following an ignominious 4-0 Test series drubbing in India last month, pundits bemoaned the lack of options.

Show Full Article