Dubai:Indian captain Anil Kumble's fine performance in the Test series against Pakistan moved him two places up to fifth in the latest International Cricket Council (ICC) rankings for bowlers, released on Friday.
Kumble picked up 18 wickets in the three-match Test series against the archrivals and with 732 rating points is back in the top-five of the bowlers' list headed by ace Sri Lankan spinner Muttiah Muralidharan (908).
South African fast bowlers Makhaya Ntini (808) and Dale Steyn (775) are second and third. Kumble's team-mate Zaheer Khan is 12th with 661 points while Pakistan fast bowlers Shoaib Akhtar despite his ordinary performance in the series against Pakistan is 10th with 684 points.
None of the Indian names figures in the batsmen's list but former captain Sourav Ganguly's brilliant form in the recently concluded series against Pakistan moved him up four places to the 20th spot. Ganguly is back in the top 20 for the first time in seven years.
Rahul Dravid is the highest ranked Indian batsman at the 12th place with 719 points while Sachin Tendulkar (663) dropped one place to the 19th.
Australian captain Ricky Ponting is still the No 1 batsman, but he now shares it jointly with prolific Sri Lankan scorer Kumar Sangakkara with 936 points. South African Jacques Kallis (935) is third while Mohammed Yousuf (880) of Pakistan is fourth.
1. Ricky Ponting (Australia) and Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka) 936
3. Jacques Kallis (South Africa) 935
4. Mohammed Yousuf (Pakistan) 880
5. Mike Hussey (Australia) 874
6. Kevin Pietersen (England) 837
7. Matthew Hayden (Australia) 803
8. Younis Khan (Pakistan) 799
9. Mahela Jayawardena (Sri Lanka) 766
10. Shivnarine Chanderpaul (West Indies) 762
1. Muttiah Muralidharan (Sri Lanka) 908
2. Makhaya Ntini (South Africa) 808
3. Dale Steyn (South Africa) 775
4. Stuart Clark (Australia) 769
5. Anil Kumble (India) 732
6. Brett Lee (Australia) and Matthew Hoggard (England) 726
8. Shane Bond (New Zealand) 724
9. Shaun Pollock (South Africa) 701
10. Shoaib Akhtar (Pakistan) 684
1. Jacques Kallis (South Africa) 551
2. Andrew Flintoff (England) 347
3. Shaun Pollock (South Africa) 329
4. Daniel Vettori (New Zealand) 316
5. Chaminda Vaas (Sri Lanka) 247