Mumbai:Strongly supporting Pakistani tearaway bowler Shoaib Akhtar who was debarred from taking part in the Indian Premier League, Shah Rukh Khan said he would ask the Indian Cricket Board to review the decision.
Khan's support comes in the wake of BCCI's decision to disallow Shoaib from playing in the IPL tournament in view of Pakistan Cricket Board's decision to ban him for five years.
"I will talk to Lalit Modi to reconsider the decision," said Shahrukh, who is owner of the Kolkata Knigh Riders team, for which Shoaib has been roped in to play.
He said the charges against the fast bowler are not so serious that his presence could create a negative impression in the minds of young cricketers.
"It is a ban related to his behaviour and I hope things get sorted out in our favour," Shahrukh said.
"Shoaib is a great player and I would like to have him back. I don't know why he cannot play. I want him in the team as he is very important for Kolkata Knight Riders," Shah Rukh said.
"I know I am allowed to take another player but I want Shoaib back," the superstar said.
Earlier in the day, Modi, Chairman of IPL's Governing Council Chairman, told reporters that the speedster cannot take part in the high-profile Twenty20 competition, beginning from April 18, till the PCB lifts the ban on him.
"A big discussion on Akhtar has taken place. The decision of the Governing Council was very simple that Akhtar has been banned for a period of five years, he has appealed... and till the time he is cleared, the Governing Council will not be allowing Akhtar from playing in the IPL," Modi said.