Karachi:The PCB legal counsel on Saturday said that even though the Champions Trophy has been postponed, it had not affected the status of the legal notice sent to fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar, which had asked him to pay a fine of seven million rupees.
The Pakistan Cricket Board had sent a notice to the controversial paceman asking him to pay the fine or he would not be considered to play in the Champions Trophy despite being selected in the final squad of 15 players.
Tafazzul Rizvi said that the notice to Shoaib did mention the Champions Trophy because it was the next tournament in line.
"But now the notice applies to any tournament or series that Pakistan plays next. Before he can the wear the Pakistan colours, he has to pay the fine or he gets an injunctive order from any court against the fine," Rizvi said.
Rizvi confirmed that Shoaib had received the notice and so has his lawyer.
"We sent it to the pacer via courier and to his lawyer by e-mail, fax and courier and it has been received. But so far they have not responded to the notice," he added.
Shoaib was asked to pay the seven million rupees fine by an appellate tribunal which in June reduced a ban of five years imposed on him by the PCB's disciplinary committee to 18 months.
The fast bowler filed a writ petition in the Lahore high court against the ban and fine. The court will hear the petition from next month and suspended the ban till the case is heard but didn't pass any stay on the payment of the fine.
Rizvi said he hoped that the fast bowler would make his position clear on the payment of the fine soon.