BCCI puts on hold all future bilateral series against Lanka

The BCCI has decided to put on hold India's all future bilateral series against Sri Lanka.

updated: October 26, 2008 09:19 IST
  • Total Shares


Miffed at the "hostile" statements from Sri Lanka Cricket officials against Indian Premier League, the BCCI has decided to put on hold India's all future bilateral series against Sri Lanka.

According to confidential documents obtained by PTI relating to a recent meeting between officials of the two boards, the Indians have made it clear that until the SLC changes its present hostile attitude towards BCCI, all tours by the Indian team in the FTP till 2012 stand unconfirmed.

Documents show that IPL Chairman Lalit Modi and other BCCI officials were extremely unhappy with some of the statements made by the Sri Lankan board officials particularly president Arjuna Ranatunga about the BCCI and Indian Premier League.

"Mr Modi and Mr (Niranjan) Shah were very puzzled and shocked at the attitude of Sri Lankan cricket towards the BCCI and had serious concerns with regards to some of the press statements which had been released by some SLC officials," the document stated.

"Further they were very curious to find out the hostile manner in which the SLC mentioned BCCI/IPL."

The meeting was attended by Modi and other Indian board officials with a delegation of the Sri Lankan cricket board including Siddath Wettimuny.

The documents state that the Indian board had also decided to withdraw the $40 million bailout package offer to Sri Lankan cricket as they are not happy that the SLC chairman had decided to make public what was a confidential offer.

The Indian officials mentioned a damaging comment from Ranatunga in Dubai stating BCCI was trying to buy Sri Lankan cricket with the bailout package proposal.

Modi said at the meeting that the bailout package was made with a genuine effort to assist Sri Lankan cricket who had a mutual understanding with them.

The two boards were locked in a piquant situation over the clash of dates of the Lankan tour of England and the second edition of IPL in April-May next year.

SLC wanted to confirm a Test tour to England while the BCCI/IPL said top Sri Lankan players signed up for the IPL have to appear in it as per their contractual obligations.

The Indian board offered a financial bailout package to their cash-strapped counterpart to assist them in case the proposed tour to England does not go ahead because of absence of top players but Ranatunga had reacted strongly to this proposal.