Mumbai:Uncertainty remained over the participation of England players in next year's Indian Premier League with the talks between England and Wales Cricket Board and IPL here ended in a stalemate on the main issue of reciprocal release of players.
ECB president David Collier and chief executive Giles Clarke had a meeting here with IPL officials including its chairman Lalit Modi, but they failed to work out a solution that would make way for the likes of Kevin Pietersen and Andrew Flintoff play in India.
The two sides met in the hope of hammering out a reciprocal agreement with the ECB agreeing to release England players for the second season of the IPL, which is due to be staged between April 10 and May 29, in return for Indian players being made available for the 2010 English Premier League.
Though there was no official announcement from either the IPL or the ECB, but sources said the talks ended in a stalemate though the two parties have agreed to meet again to pursue the matter in the next couple of weeks.
"The talks were constructive but the discussions have broken up without any agreement being reached. The two parties have agreed to meet again soon in India for further negotiations," an IPL source said.
Modi had been saying that while he would welcome England players in IPL they will have to play a substantial number of matches otherwise no franchise would be willing to buy them.
Among other topics discussed at the meeting were the future of Champions Twenty 20 League and whether English teams could feature in it after Kent were barred from entry because they fielded players from unsanctioned Indian Cricket League.