Karachi:Pakistan Cricket Board on Wednesday said it would go by the finding of its own inquiry committee before deciding on an additional punishment for Mohammad Asif who was slapped a one-year ban by the Indian Premier League for failing a dope test.
PCB Chairman Ejaz Butt told a news conference that the board accepted the one-year ban imposed by the IPL drug tribunal but refused to comment on whether the pacer would face more punishment for his Dubai detainment.
"The Dubai authorities didn't register any case against Asif so we will wait for the findings of our inquiry committee, which is probing the incident, before deciding whether he needs to be additionally penalised," Butt said.
The IPL tribunal banned the pacer for failing a dope test last year in May.
Asif also found himself in trouble while returning from India after playing in the IPL when he was detained by Dubai authorities for possession of 0.24 grams of opium. He was released after spending 19-days in detention.
"The one-year ban imposed by the IPL and ratified by the ICC would be followed by us as well. Asif can only be considered for selection once the ban ends in September," Butt said.
"After the one-year ban is over we will decide whether to give him a contract or not," he added.