Aussies disappointed at missing out on IPL

Shane Watson, Nathan Bracken and James Hopes are disappointed on missing the IPL after CA ruled them medically unfit to play in the lucrative event.

updated: May 09, 2009 17:18 IST
  • Total Shares


Australian players Shane Watson, Nathan Bracken and James Hopes have expressed disappointment at missing the Indian Premier League after Cricket Australia ruled them medically unfit to play in the lucrative event.

The trio was hoping to join Rajasthan Royals, Royal Challengers Bangalore and Kings XI Punjab, respectively, from this week but following medical examinations under Australian team doctor Trefor James, CA advised them to rest ahead of a busy schedule.

"He was keen as mustard to play with Bangalore," Bracken's agent Rob Horton said.

"He was prepared to go and get the release from Cricket Australia, but he was not granted medical clearance so couldn't go. He's disappointed, but he can also see the bigger picture here.

"While he did have a knee injury last year, and it has since come good and not given him much trouble, there is also a heavy schedule coming up. He understands their reasoning. Apart from the dollars at stake, he had signed an IPL contract and wanted to fulfil it," Horton told a cricket website.

Hopes' agent Peter Rogers echoed similar sentiments on behalf of his client.

"He's certainly disappointed, because he was looking forward to playing in the IPL. He's disappointed in terms of not being able to play, but he is comfortable with (CA's) decision. He has tendonitis in his right knee and he's been playing a fair bit recently, so he knows the rest will do him good. There comes a time when the body says it needs a break," Rogers said.

Watson, the player of the tournament in the inaugural IPL, too was eager to take part in this edition but chose to be philosophical after CA ruled him out.

"I spoke to him briefly before he got on the plane from Dubai, and he was pretty philosophical about it," Watson's agent Dave Flaskas said.

"His view was that that he would have liked to play, but now a decision has been made and he wants to make the best of it. Obviously there is a commercial downside to it. But he is running into some pretty good form now, and there are obviously some big series coming up, so he's pretty pragmatic about it all.

"He wants to start bowling and make sure he's 100 per cent fit and healthy with the Ashes coming up. There is obviously a downside in terms of the cash, but I think he realises there is more at stake here."

Bracken's agent said there would be no point in appealing.

"There is no point trying to appeal the decision. Cricket Australia has the final say. I was talking to (Bracken) last night, and he knows there is a busy schedule coming up, which also includes the Twenty20 Champions League, because NSW qualified. He understands the reasoning behind it.

"Moves like this can help provide longevity for his career. He's not a young chicken anymore. At the top level of the game, he probably has another four good years and he wants to get the maximum out of it," said Horton.