Celtic win in vain, Porto claim last spot

updated: February 25, 2007 08:37 IST
  • Total Shares


Group E of the Champions League already had one team that had booked its place in the second phase and that was Juventus. So when Celtic Galsgow played them on Thursday, they had to win to even have a chance of qualifying for the second phase. And the Scottish side were positive after a good home record in the champions league. They were however stunned in the 19th minute by Juventus. But just five minutes later and a nice cross in by Lubo Moravcik was headed home by Joos Valgaeren as Celtic leveled the match. Chris Sutton made things look more positive for Celtic after he scored the hosts second goal in first half injury time. Alessandro Del Piero was substituted by David Trezeguet after the first half, and it seemed to be a good move as Trezeguet leveled the match, six minutes into the second half. In the 57th minute and a foul by Mark Iuliano in the area gave Celtic the lead. Henrik Larsson coolly slotted the ball past the Juventus keeper as Celtic went ahead 3-2. Larsson wasn't done yet, scoring his second of the game with a smashing volley as the hosts looked to have sealed the match. But Trezeguet still had something left, the French striker scoring his second goal in the 77th minute, as Juventus pulled one back. And the final twist came in the 95th minute, after Pavel Nedved seemed to have scored the equaliser, but it was called off side, as Celtic held on to win 4-3. But the win was not enough for the Scottish side to qualify for the second phase as results in the other games in their group poured in. Porto beat Rosenborg It was the Champions League game that sealed the chance of Glasgow Celtic reaching the second phase. Porto nearly took the lead in the 12th minute against Rosenborg, after a nice pass found Clayton with some space on the left side, but the Brazilian couldn't make it count much to the dismay of the home fans. But Clayton made up for that with a nice cross in, that found Capucho, who took too long before passing the ball to Deca, but his shot was well saved by the Rosenborg keeper. Porto should have scored in the 27th minute, after Pena was left unmarked, but an unlucky deflection of a defender sent the ball wide. Ten minutes later and another cross in from Clayton, but this time Pena made no mistake with the header as the hosts finally took the lead. Porto failed to keep up the pressure in the second half, with the only goal scoring chance coming Rosenborg's way in injury time. But Bent Johnsen's header was just wide as Porto won the match 1-0. With the victory Porto confirmed their place in the second phase along with Juventus. Glasgow Celtic had to settle for a place in the UEFA cup even after a stunning 4-3 win over group leaders Juventus.