Neymar puts European move on hold

With the 2014 World Cup hosted in Brazil for the first time since 1950, Neymar and his father seem adamant that he is going nowhere -- at least for now.

updated: January 10, 2013 19:38 IST
  • Total Shares

Montevideo: Brazil star Neymar, who has been courted by some of the world's biggest clubs, says "it is not yet the time" to play in Europe as the Santos youngster won his second straight South American player of the year award.

"Everyone asks me the same question but I have a contract with Santos until 2014 and I am happy here with my family and my friends," the striker told journalists at the glitzy ceremony on Wednesday.

The 20-year-old also played down comparisons with Argentina's Lionel Messi, who won his fourth straight Ballon d'Or earlier this week, and said he considered that club and country were his priorities.

Show Full Article
  • Football
  • Uruguay
  • Brazil