Egypt clashes after 21 given death sentence in football riot

Among those on trial are nine security officials. The soccer melee on February 1, 2012 between Port Said's Al-Masry fans and Cairo's Al-Ahly fans was the world's deadliest soccer violence in 15 years.

updated: January 26, 2013 16:18 IST
  • Total Shares

Cairo: Violence erupted in Port Said on Saturday after a court in the capital sentenced 21 people to death over a football riot that killed more than 70 people in the Egyptian canal city last year.

The Cairo court has now handed the verdict to the country's top cleric for his final opinion. Executions in Egypt must be authorised by the Grand Mufti.

It also set March 9 for handing down the verdicts of the remaining 52 defendants in the case, including nine police officers.

Show Full Article
  • Football