Tevez case to be heard on Aug 22

The dispute over Carlos Tevez's future will be heard by Britain's High Court on August 22.

updated: August 02, 2007 17:29 IST
  • Total Shares


The dispute over Carlos Tevez's future will be heard by Britain's High Court on August 22.

The court will hear the case nine days before the close of European soccer's transfer window, increasing the chances that the Argentina striker will be able to leave West Ham.

The 23-year-old Tevez wants to move to Manchester United, and Kia Joorabchian, who owns the striker's economic rights, has organised the transfer.

West Ham will not release Tevez's registration because the club has not taken any part in the deal, but said on Tuesday it hoped to reach an agreement on the move before the matter went to court.

West Ham was served with a High Court writ from Joorabchian last week after FIFA recommended the dispute be settled by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Tevez has to complete his move to Manchester United by August 31 to play for the English champion. If the transfer is delayed, he would not be able to sign for another club until the next transfer window opens on January 1.

The dispute started because Joorabchian engineered the transfer of Tevez and his Argentina teammate Javier Mascherano to West Ham from Brazilian club Corinthians.

The Premier League investigated the transfers in April and found they broke the rules on third-party ownership, with an independent tribunal fining West Ham $10.9 million.

Mascherano moved to Liverpool in January on a Premier League-approved contract. West Ham said it rewrote Tevez's contract after the fine and has a four-year deal with the striker, who helped the London club escape relegation.

Joorabchian believes Tevez has a one-year contract with escape clauses.