Premier League: Arsenal beat Man United 2-1

Thierry Henry scored in injury time on Sunday to give Arsenal a 2-1 comeback win over Manchester United in the Premier League.

updated: March 22, 2007 06:37 IST
  • Total Shares


Thierry Henry scored in injury time on Sunday to give Arsenal a 2-1 comeback win over Manchester United in the Premier League. Henry met a cross from defender Emmanuel Eboue and headed past diving goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar in the third minute of injury time. Robin van Persie had equalised in the 83rd for Arsenal, keeping United from opening up a nine-point lead over two-time defending champion Chelsea. Van Persie took flick from Henry at the far post before shooting the ball into the top of the net past Van der Sar. "You cannot expect anything better - to play against Man United and be 1-0 down and come back like that right at the end and win the game," Henry said. Wayne Rooney gave United the lead in the 53rd when he met a cross from Patrice Evra at the far post after it had been flicked on by Arsenal defender Emmanuel Eboue. "Unexpectedly they scored on the only chance they had in the second half, and it then was a question of spirit, quality and resilience and we got all of that," Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said. United failed to take advantage of Liverpool's 2-0 win over Chelsea on Saturday. United leads the league with 56 points, six more than Chelsea. Liverpool is third with 46 points, one more than Arsenal. "We lost two goals from positions I didn't think we could lose goals," said Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson, who added his team dropped too far back after Rooney's goal. "When we get up in that winning position again, we won't be making that mistake, I can tell you that." Early control by Man U United controlled the match early in front of 60,128 spectators at the Emirates Stadium, with striker Henrik Larsson setting Ryan Giggs up for a shot from just outside the area in the sixth minute that went over the bar. Henry provided Arsenal with its first chance in the 13th, but the France striker's long-range shot from the left side was easily caught by Van der Sar. Philippe Senderos met Henry's free kick in the 16th, but the defender's header lacked pace and was easily cradled by Van der Sar. Larsson's low-angled drive from the left was denied by diving goalkeeper Jens Lehmann in the 23rd. Henry was denied by Van der Sar again in the 33rd, with the Dutch goalkeeper anticipating the striker's header at the far post from Emmanuel Adebayor's cross. In the final minutes of the half, both sides traded near-chances, with Lehmann denying United three times. Giggs went through from Paul Scholes' pass in the 41st but his chip was easily collected by Lehmann. Van der Sar stopped Henry from 28 meters (yards) in the 45th. In first-half injury time, the German goalkeeper tipped Rooney's volley from 25 meters (yards) off the crossbar and out of play and, in the ensuing scramble off the corner kick, Lehmann dove to his left to keep Larsson's header from slipping into the bottom right of the goal. Cesc Fabregas had the first chance to score in the second half, but the Arsenal midfielder's swirling drive from 25 meters (yards) in the 48th was saved by Van der Sar. Rooney gave United the lead five minutes later with his eighth goal and first since a 3-1 win over Manchester City on Dec. 9. It was the 21-year-old England international's first headed goal as a United player. Arsenal responded with pressure, and Tomas Rosicky flashed a low-drive just wide of goal in the 58th. Van der Sar denied Arsenal in a goal-mouth scramble in the 72nd, stopping Adebayor's weak header then pushing out a rebound as Arsenal pushed for an equaliser. A late collapse saw United fail to reverse a 1-0 defeat to the Gunners at Old Trafford on September 17. Chelsea loses Dirk Kuyt and Jermaine Pennant scored in the first 18 minutes at Anfield to hand Chelsea its third loss this season. It was Liverpool's first league win over Chelsea in 2-1/2 years. Everton handed Wigan its seventh straight loss in the Premier League, getting two goals from Mikel Arteta in a 2-0 win. Arteta scored his first goal from the penalty spot in the 65th minute, earned when Wigan defender David Unsworth fouled Victor Anichebe. Arteta collected a cross from Phil Neville to score the other in injury time. Everton striker Andy Johnson was injured in a collision with Wigan goalkeeper Chris Kirkland early in the second half. He was taken off on a stretcher and went to the hospital with a suspected broken ankle. He was replaced by Anichebe.