Middlesbrough reach last 16 of FA Cup

Middlesbrough won a penalty shootout to beat League One Bristol City after a 2-2 extra-time draw on Tuesday and reach the last 16 of the English FA Cup.

updated: March 22, 2007 06:37 IST
  • Total Shares


Middlesbrough won a penalty shootout 5-4 to beat League One Bristol City after a 2-2 extra-time draw on Tuesday and reach the last 16 of the English FA Cup. Adam Johnson converted the final spot kick after Aiyegbeni Yakubu had missed two - one in extra time and one in the shootout. In another fourth-round replay, Darren Huckerby scored twice as Championship club Norwich rallied to beat League One Blackpool 3-2 in extra time. The Canaries go to Chelsea for a place in the quarterfinals. The last 16 will be finalized on Wednesday when Bolton and Arsenal meet in another fourth-round replay. Bristol City led in the 23rd minute at the Riverside Stadium when Alex Russell's through ball found David Noble onside and totally unmarked. The forward only had goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer to beat and, although the Australian international got one hand to his shot, it was not enough to stop it. Boro manager Gareth Southgate sent another Aussie, striker Mark Viduka, for the second half and the visitor's goalkeeper, Chris Weale, who had little to in the first half, had to make saves to keep his side in front. Extra time He blocked shots from Yakubu and Viduka and the Australian also shot wide of the near post as Boro maintained the pressure. The equalizer came in the 69th minute when Stewart Downing floated in a cross from the right, and Viduka glanced a header into the far corner. Johnson hit the foot of the post and Downing struck the bar a minute later as Boro looked in vain for the winner to avoid extra time. Yakubu should have put Boro ahead six minutes into the extra period but fired tamely at Weale from the penalty spot. But he prodded the ball home from three meters to put Middlesbrough ahead in the 102nd minute after Weale had blocked an angled shot from Downing. The League One side refused to wilt and Jamie McCombe made it 2-2 from Scott Murray's cross with only two minutes left of extra time. In the shootout, Yakubu hit the post with a chance of scoring the winning penalty. After Craig Woodman's shot was saved by Schwarzer, Johnson clinched a fifth-round game against League Championship West Bromwich Albion by scoring the decisive spot kick.