FA Cup: Man U win 3-0 at Southampton

Danny Welbeck headed in Manchester United's first goal on Sunday in a 3-0 FA Cup victory at Southampton to set up a fourth-round meeting with Tottenham.

updated: January 05, 2009 08:47 IST
  • Total Shares


Teenager Danny Welbeck headed in Manchester United's first goal on Sunday in a 3-0 FA Cup victory at Southampton to set up a fourth-round meeting with Tottenham.

Nani scored a second-half penalty and Darron Gibson added the third in the 81st against a Saints team which had Matt Paterson sent off in the 36th minute for an ugly challenge on Nemanja Vidic.

The victory over the League Championship club meant that United avoided joining neighbor Manchester City and Stoke among topflight teams upset by lower-league opponents. Southampton beat United in the 1976 FA Cup final when they were in the division below.

"In the third round any year you're always hoping you're not shocked," United manager Alex Ferguson said. "We always keep saying that to the players, don't shock us, let us get into the next round. We have a home tie and we had Tottenham last year (a 3-1 victory). It's a good draw."

Starting because United decided to rest Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez, Welbeck scored from close range in the 20th minute after John O'Shea's header had been pushed onto the bar by Saints goalkeeper Kelvin Davis.

Paterson was shown the red card for lunging into Vidic on the halfway line and, facing 10 men, United strolled to victory as it seeks to stretch its record 11 FA Cup triumphs.

Welbeck, who also scored in his Premier League debut in a 5-0 victory over Stoke, hit the near post in first-half injury time. The 18-year-old forward was replaced midway through the second half by Wayne Rooney.

By that time, United had made it 2-0. David McGoldrick was harshly ruled to have handled the ball in the 48th minute when he jumped to block Nani's free kick and Nani scored from the penalty spot.

Gibson scored the third from Rooney's run and pull back in the 81st.

James Milner marked his 23rd birthday with two goals to lead Aston Villa to a 2-1 victory over Gillingham in Sunday's other third-round game.

Signed from Newcastle in August, the winger gave Villa a 13th-minute lead at the Priestfield stadium when he swapped passes with Stilian Petrov just outside the Gillingham area and curled a right-footed shot around goalkeeper Simon Royce.

League One team Gillingham leveled in the 57th when Simeon Jackson collected the ball on his chest, charged away from Villa defender Zat Knight with a burst of speed and powered a right-foot shot that clipped the inside of the near post and beat goalkeeper Brad Friedel.

Milner's second came from the penalty spot in the 79th after Gills captain Andy Miller was judged to have brought down Ashley Young. Milner drove the ball hard into the bottom corner of the net to put seven-time FA Cup winner Villa into the last 32.

The highlights of Saturday's 28 FA Cup games were a 3-0 victory by League Championship struggler Nottingham Forest at Manchester City and League One team Southend scoring a last-minute equalizer to draw 1-1 at Chelsea. In another upset, League One team Hartlepool ousted Premier League club Stoke 2-0.

Man City, bought three months ago by a wealthy business consortium from Abu Dhabi, is also in the bottom half of the Premier League. Saturday's embarrassing loss will put more pressure manager Mark Hughes, who plans to use his club's new wealth to strengthen the team during the January transfer window.

The fourth-round draw was made on Sunday and the highlights were Liverpool vs. Everton and Manchester United vs. Tottenham. Forest's reward for winning at Man City was a visit to neighbor Derby and Hartlepool hosts another Premier League team, West Ham.