AC Milan denies Real Madrid to sign Kaka

AC Milan denied that any deal had been agreed between Kaka and Real Madrid that would see the Brazil playmaker move to the Spanish powerhouse.

updated: May 16, 2009 16:45 IST
  • Total Shares


Italian giant AC Milan denied on Saturday that any deal had been agreed between Kaka and Real Madrid presidential hopeful Florentino Perez that would see the Brazil playmaker move to the Spanish powerhouse.

The club's Web site carried a statement from Bosco Leite, Kaka's father and legal representative, that any information about a possible deal was unreliable.

"There is no agreement with Real Madrid, and the statement, according to which the player has already signed a contract with the Spanish club, isn't true," Leite said.

Spanish sports newspaper Marca reported Saturday that Perez had negotiated a fee of euro63 million (US$85 million) for Kaka, who had agreed to sign a five-year contract with an annual salary of euro8 million ($10.8 million) should Perez regain control of the Spanish club.

"Kaka is still concentrated on the final games of the season and still very tied to Milan. Any information about the career of the athlete is to be considered credible and official only if it comes from his legal representative or from Milan. Any other source of information should be considered unreliable," the Milan Web site said

According to Marca, all that remained to be agreed between Perez _ who oversaw Madrid's 'galactico' policy when he was formerly club president _ and Milan was the commission which would be paid to Leite.

Kaka, the 2007 World Player of the Year, said last month he intended to stay with Milan and had not been in contact with Madrid. Earlier this season, Manchester City failed in an attempt to sign the Brazil midfielder after bidding around euro110 million (then $147 million).

Kaka is said to be just one of many transfer targets for Perez, who announced Thursday that he would stand in next month's poll of club members in a bid to return to the presidency he quit in 2006.

It is standard in Spanish club elections for candidates to organize new signings to encourage members to vote for them.

Bayern Munich's Franck Ribery and Valencia's David Villa are others who Perez reportedly hopes to sign for next season as he attempts to reactivate the galactico policy which brought the likes of Zinedine Zidane, David Beckham and Ronaldo to Madrid during his first tenure.

Marca said Perez's interest in signing Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo has waned due to his high value on the transfer market and supposed temperamental character.

Perez, the head of Spanish construction giant ACS, aims to revamp a Madrid team which has been eclipsed by rivals Barcelona this season.

The Catalan club, which won the Copa del Rey last Wednesday, would win the Spanish league title later Saturday if Madrid failed to win at Villarreal. Barcelona has also reached the Champions League final, in which it faces United on May 27.

At present, Perez is the only candidate to announce his intention to stand in Madrid's election and there remains the chance he will be unopposed. If so, Perez would begin his second tenure on June 1.

Perez's spell as Madrid president from 2000 to 2006 saw the club winning two league titles and one Champions League. Madrid then suffered its worst trophy drought for over 50 years when it went three seasons without silverware, shuffling through five coaches over that time.