If I were Sachin Tendulkar, I would have quit a year ago: Sourav Ganguly

Describing Sachin Tendulkar as a champion, former skipper Sourav Ganguly said the Master Blaster should have quit Test cricket one year ago

updated: November 11, 2013 15:28 IST
  • Total Shares

Saying Sachin Tendulkar is making the right decision to quit Test cricket after his 200th game in Mumbai this week, former captain Sourav Ganguly told NDTV in a chat show: "If I was Sachin, I would have quit a year ago." Tendulkar has not been in the best of form and in his 199th Test against the West Indies in Kolkata last week, the 40-year-old managed to score just 10 runs. (Watch)

Tendulkar has not scored a Test hundred since January 2011 and has just two fifties (76 against England at Kolkata in December 2012 and 81 versus Australia in Chennai in February 2013) in his last 20 Test innings. Considering his lofty standards (average 53.71 with a record 51 Test tons), Tendulkar has been lucky to keep his Test berth and Ganguly said: "Last two-three years haven't been good for him and only because he is Sachin Tendulkar, he has been given the run for three years. Nobody in world cricket or Indian cricket would have got that rope."

Ganguly told NDTV in Kolkata that Tendulkar has timed his exit to perfection. "You have got to accept that at some stage you have to go. Another six months in Test cricket it would not have helped Tendulkar. He has taken the right decision and for me, he has been a champion because I have seen him so closely from age of 14 years and I have seen the man grow. He is going out on a high and playing at home because if it was in South Africa he wouldn't have got half the adulation he has got here. He deserves every bit of the's the right send off. If I was in his place I would have gone a year earlier but that's the way Sachin Tendulkar is."

Show Full Article