New Delhi:The International Tennis Federation (ITF) on Friday rejected Australia's plea to shift next month's Asia-Oceania Group I Davis Cup tie against hosts India out of Chennai over security grounds.
The ITF today upheld the decision to stage the India-Australia encounter in Chennai from May 8-10 after Tennis Australia has appealed to the international body to reconsider its decision on the venue following Aussie players reluctance to travel to India due to security fears.
However, the ITF has made it clear that they were satisfied with the security situation in Chennai.
"The ITF Board of Directors has upheld the decision of the Davis Cup Committee regarding the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Asia/Oceania Zone Group I third round tie between India and Australia," an ITF statement said.
"The tie will take place at the SDAT Tennis Stadium in Chennai on May 8-10. The location and venue was previously approved by the Davis Cup Committee following a positive report from the ITF's security consultants," the statement added.
Meanwhile, reports in Australian media said that the nation could face a year's ban and a penalty of USD 100,000 if it decides to skip the tie, adding Lleyton Hewitt and Chris Guccione were contemplating of withdrawing their names from the touring squad.