Cricket Australia (CA) and sacked coach Mickey Arthur have reached a confidential settlement after lengthy talks on the issue, a media release said on Wednesday. It was earlier reported in the media that Arthur was demanding that either he be reinstated or is paid $4 million as compensation for his 'sudden and shock removal,'. The two-day talks concluded on Wednesday.
South African Arthur was removed from his post as head coach of the Australian team a fortnight before the start of the Ashes series. Legal action was on the cards in case the talks would have failed.
"Both Mickey and CA agree that it is unfortunate that the dispute was not settled prior to the issuing of legal proceedings," Cricket Australia said in a joint statement with Arthur.
The Australian team has had to battle a string of controversies, apart from jarring defeats in the first two Ashes Tests versus England. Arthur, in a lawsuit, had revealed that there was a wide rift between skipper Michael Clarke and Shane Watson and that the later had been called 'cancer of the team.'