New York: The U.S. Tennis Association says it turned down a request from Bernard Tomic's agent to allow the player's father to be credentialed for the U.S. Open.
USTA spokesman Chris Widmaier says Sunday that "we opted not to credential" John Tomic, who was barred from tournaments by the ATP and International Tennis Federation earlier this year after being accused of head-butting Bernard's hitting partner. John Tomic also is his son's coach.
Bernard Tomic is a 20-year-old Australian who was a Wimbledon quarterfinalist in 2011 and reached the fourth round there in July. He's been ranked as high as 27th, is currently 52nd, and is scheduled to play Albert Ramos of Spain on Monday, when play starts at the U.S. Open.